Thursday, August 27, 2026

Farewell, Dolly

 Someone who can inspire tributes from as far apart as the Empire State Building, George the Stourbridge Station Cat and the city of Melbourne has surely led a life worth living. I can only bow in appreciation to Ms Dolly Parton and thank her for a lifetime of music and caring. 

On hearing of her passing, I was gripped by a feeling of the air being knocked out of me. Never a country fan, I grew to respect her philanthropy and listen with open ears to her songs as an adult. And Jolene is just a bop, no matter what genre you like. I felt sad I never got to see her and then remembered I had, after a fashion. 

Back in December 2020 when much of life was lived online, Dolly appeared from her home in Tennessee in a programme streamed from none other than the British Library for a conversation about her Imagination Library. We got to see her, perched daintily in her chair, hair immaculate, hands wrapped in fingerless gloves, as she discussed this programme I had never heard of that had run for years sending free books out to kids across the world. She was funny, she was sassy, she was Dolly. It was a great night and I was glad I got to see her in some capacity. Be more Dolly.  

An Evening with Dolly Parton

No comments: