Monday, June 21, 2021

Lesbian Period Drama

 As it's Pride month (and has been for 21 days. Oops. Been busy, ya know?) and um, not really very much is allowed to happen IRL I thought I would post this Saturday Night Live sketch from a couple of months ago when Carey Mulligan hosted. I thought it was extremely well produced and many commenters on Twitter said, "I want to see this film!". I would see it, if only because there are so few lesbian films out there, but, yes, it does, eh, touch on a lot of tired tropes which have irritated some film watchers.  

I see that Bristol Pride's Queer Vision film festival is hosting a discussion online on 12 July called Not another Lesbian period drama! which will consider on-screen representation. In the meantime enjoy SNL's pisstake with a guest appearance by actual lezzer Kate McKinnon. Happy Pride!




No comments: