Saturday, October 11, 2014

Lydia Lunch on Post-Punk

I am a couple of days late with this, owing to general busyness, but I wanted write a few words about Lydia Lunch's appearance on Thursday. Appearing as part of the Post-Punk Then and Now series, Ms. Lunch held court at Deptford Town Hall before an adoring audience.

I turned up more out of curiosity than reverence and was quite impressed. I have not really followed her career extremely closely and know her more for her outrageous reputation than anything else, but must say she was quite the star turn. She performed two spoken word pieces on New York which had me nodding in recognition. Then she spoke with host Dominic Johnson, who seemed ever so slightly unnerved by her, especially when she gave him a lap dance and made comments about him becoming her next ex-husband. There were also recorded excerpts of her various musical projects, such as Teenage Jesus and the Jerks, as well as her new Retrovirus project.

The event was recorded, and I hope it turns up somewhere, because there were many quotable and applause-worthy moments, not least Lunch's forceful declarations on the state of the planet and her quest to destroy patriarchy. I could not get any decent pictures, but there are some online.

Plucking up my courage, I asked a question about her films with Vivienne Dick, and was rewarded with not only a direct gaze (we had to cock our heads to make eye contact), but a detailed answer about how the character played by Pat Place in She Had Her Gun All Ready was based on Dick herself. Most intriguing, as is Lunch herself.

No comments: